PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   UK & Ireland (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Trying to activate Vodafone UK PAYT SIM in USA - not working (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4788)

adam917 03-03-2009 22:57

Trying to activate Vodafone UK PAYT SIM in USA - not working

I purchased a brand-new Vodafone UK Pay as You Talk SIM on eBay and just received it, but can't activate it here in the US. Is it required for the user to be in the UK first before activating. I did not receive a phone number for the SIM in the package. The only number that worked was '5555' (Vodafone Passport - I was able to activate that oddly but not the line itself). All other calls, including to Customer services do not go through and the phone instantly hangs up when I try to make the call.

Thanks so much to whoever can help me out...

inquisitor 03-03-2009 22:59

I think you have to register on the SIM's home network in order to be able to activate it properly.

PhotoJim 04-03-2009 02:10

It is possible to activate UK SIMs in North America (I activated my O2 UK SIM here in Canada on Rogers in summer '07) but I got my Voda SIM in London, so all I can tell you is that it works here after you register it there.

Bossman 04-03-2009 10:05

You should be able to activate it here. You will have to do it from another phone and you will need a UK address. I used to have an Orange UK sim and I activated it from here.

Here is Voda's number:

Pay as you talk +44 7836 191 919

Vodafone Contact us

adam917 04-03-2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 25546)
You should be able to activate it here. You will have to do it from another phone and you will need a UK address. I used to have an Orange UK sim and I activated it from here.

Here is Voda's number:

Pay as you talk +44 7836 191 919

Vodafone Contact us

Does the address you give matter? (I don't live in the UK nor am I there.)

I only got this SIM for lower data roaming rates in Canada. My operator charges 10.24 USD/MiB while Vodafone UK charges 4.99 GBP/MiB (lower due to exchange rates) in Canada.

Bossman 04-03-2009 16:32

Just give them any valid address. You can use a friends address or a hotel or so.

Okay, Let me get this straight: Your provider charges about $10/mb to roam in Canada.Voda lists blackberry and using the phone as a modem as 4.99 GBP. Anything else is 8.00 GBP. So, I am assuming you plan on using the former, for it to be even remotely worthwhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 25553)
Does the address you give matter? (I don't live in the UK nor am I there.)

I only got this SIM for lower data roaming rates in Canada. My operator charges 10.24 USD/MiB while Vodafone UK charges 4.99 GBP/MiB (lower due to exchange rates) in Canada.

Ties Brants 04-03-2009 21:46

I would think that there are cheaper options, for example Base from Belgium: euro 3,50/mb and they charge per kb. So you would really pay what you use.

http://www.base.be/base/en/home/offe...page.aspx/4131

You have to activate it in Belgium, but I would think it would be possible to get someone to do that for you.

adam917 05-03-2009 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ties Brants (Post 25556)
I would think that there are cheaper options, for example Base from Belgium: euro 3,50/mb and they charge per kb. So you would really pay what you use.

http://www.base.be/base/en/home/offe...page.aspx/4131

You have to activate it in Belgium, but I would think it would be possible to get someone to do that for you.

Wow. interesting. I wonder what is the cheapest way of getting data roaming in the world. €3.50/MB isn't bad considering it's roaming (is it even lower within the EU?). I find it insane that local prepaid data in Canada is so expensive ($0.03 to $0.05/KB).

Ties Brants 05-03-2009 20:22

There are some networks in Europe where you pay the same as in Belgium (2,50 / mb)
(for example KPN (the Netherlands), the owner of base and e-plus (Germany), also owned by KPN.

Three is even more interesting because they have "three like home" where you will pay the same on all the three networks, so if you have 1 gb data at home you can also use it on (most of) the other three networks. see for example three Italy:
PrePaidGSM: H3G (Italy)

The really good thing about Base is that they charge you by the kb. So if you use msn, text messaging on the internet or other programs that will only use a little bit of data you will only pay what you really used.

adam917 06-03-2009 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ties Brants (Post 25571)
There are some networks in Europe where you pay the same as in Belgium (2,50 / mb)
(for example KPN (the Netherlands), the owner of base and e-plus (Germany), also owned by KPN.

Three is even more interesting because they have "three like home" where you will pay the same on all the three networks, so if you have 1 gb data at home you can also use it on (most of) the other three networks. see for example three Italy:
PrePaidGSM: H3G (Italy)

The really good thing about Base is that they charge you by the kb. So if you use msn, text messaging on the internet or other programs that will only use a little bit of data you will only pay what you really used.

I'm aware of how much better the deals are in Europe. My questions applied to use of a foreign (doesn't have to be European) SIM in Canada. If I were travelling about Europe, I'd probably have Vodafone Passport & 3 Like Home & use the latter wherever a 3 network is around and the former elsewhere.

Is charging by the kilobyte that rare? My home operator charges by the kilobyte abroad. Japan's operators charge by the packet.