PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   BeNeLux (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Belgium (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1543)

meir 15-01-2007 17:35

Belgium

Hallo Everyone. Any good idea for prepaid card fro Belgium I will be calling mostly +3248XXXXXXX numbers. Thnaks in advance.

ticex 15-01-2007 18:18

Hi there,

In my opinion the best value prepaid sim on the Belgian market is a MVNO on Base. You can order a sim online at: www.simyo.be

The rates are extremely good compared to most other prepaids which cost as much as EUR 0.40 /min (charged by the minute!)

I did hear they sometimes create problems sending the sim abroad but I've done it several times so if the automatic order system gives any hassle then drop them an email.

Gryphone 21-02-2007 15:09

Aldi Talk launched in Belgium too

Following it's success in Germany, KPN has decided to launch Aldi Talk in Belgium too.

Call charges are a bit higher though, internal calls cost 0,09€/min (instead of 0,04€ in Germany), standard national calls cost 0,19€/min (instead of 0,14€/min). In both the cases the offer is on KPN's network (E-Plus in Germany, Base in Belgium).

ygeffens 21-02-2007 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticex (Post 12668)
Hi there,

In my opinion the best value prepaid sim on the Belgian market is a MVNO on Base. You can order a sim online at: www.simyo.be

The rates are extremely good compared to most other prepaids which cost as much as EUR 0.40 /min (charged by the minute!)

I did hear they sometimes create problems sending the sim abroad but I've done it several times so if the automatic order system gives any hassle then drop them an email.

I absolutely can confirm that Simyo is the best prepaid card. The only thing is that you can't buy it in a call shop.

If you want me to help you getting the card because there is a problem sending it to an international address, just PM me.

meir 27-02-2007 11:05

So I have ordered SIMYO Belgium SIM directly. For persons with no Belgian ID it works this way. First to email to foreigner@simyo.be that you are foreigner and you like to purchase the SIM card from them. They will email you back application form to fill plus ask you to send them copy of your passport plus form. You can send it by snail mail, fax or email. I did it by email. They created account for me. And from them you can order as many SIMs as you like. They let you choose you phone number, but the list is not good. Price for SIM is Euro 10 postage included. The same price for Belgians as well as foreigners. Airtime is on top of it.

andy 27-02-2007 13:33

That's interesting progress from a year ago; then they said only Belgian citizens could apply, and it looks like they checked residence or similar databases.

meir 27-02-2007 13:49

Hallo Andy, not true any longer. My Czech address is now in their database.

ticex 03-03-2007 10:53

It's odd how things can change! I remember I ordered a sim from simyo the 1st day they launched and I had it mailed to my UK address without any questions being asked. I've never sent them a passport or anything which I find quite normal in Belgium where you can just buy sim's from other operators from the shelves in the supermarket even!

ygeffens 03-03-2007 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticex (Post 13549)
It's odd how things can change! I remember I ordered a sim from simyo the 1st day they launched and I had it mailed to my UK address without any questions being asked. I've never sent them a passport or anything which I find quite normal in Belgium where you can just buy sim's from other operators from the shelves in the supermarket even!

Living in Belgium, I can tell you that there is (indeed) no regulation at all for prepaid cards.
When you 'register' (Mobistar/Tempo, Proximus/Pay and Go) you often get special offers, but you don't have to.
Simyo asks for some personal information, for the sole purpose of 'just having the information'. They simply don't do anything with it (at least no commercial actions).

Simyo (operated by Base) would be the best operator if they also would offer EDGE (what Base is doing - 25 euro for 1Gb of traffic), a 2 year contract with free HSPDA card, and duo sim. But you can't have it all... So I moved to base, altough I was very very happy with Simyo.

No I don't work for Base, nor Simyo :-)

ticex 04-03-2007 11:44

Interesting, I thought just as much! Perhaps Simyo simply request this information to simply make it "more difficult" to obtain a sim because it's cheaper than even their own brand? Afterall, if you look around at the moment Base are really advertising hard for their own brand prepaid offer which I think is rather poor value in comparison to Simyo!

Simyo is great value but in Brussels every few weeks I find it impossible to make or receive calls at busy periods (4-5pm) so I guess the network is kind of stretched to the limits. Apart from that and the bad coverage down around Verviers/Spa I can't fault Simyo :-) I can't imagine why anybody would choose Base's own prepaid or one of the Mobistar/Proximus offers.

Now, a question...the data offer you have on contract with Base sounds interesting, especially now my Wind Mega-15000 only gives +/- 16MB for 30 Euro a month in Belgium. Is there any prepaid GPRS data offer in Belgium that can either beat Wind's price or the Virgin roaming price of EUR 7.50/MB?