PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question about travelling to the 'home' areas of int'l SIMs (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5020)

adam917 01-06-2009 09:56

Question about travelling to the 'home' areas of int'l SIMs

Can you use the ekit Global Premium SIM in the Isle of Man despite that location being the home operator of the SIM? Has anyone ever used these type of SIMs in places like that (I'm guessing they don't expect their users to need to travel to the countries the SIMs are based at)? Has there/could there be problems?

inquisitor 01-06-2009 10:27

Why should there be a problem? The only difference I could imagine is, that in the home network direct calling could be enabled instead of callback, but I doubt any programmer has wasted time by implementing an exception routine for such a rare case.

MrEd 01-06-2009 11:37

GeoSIM works fine on the IOM.

hkr 01-06-2009 11:37

Strangely though, sim4travel 's Low International Mobile Rates with SIM4travel page suggests that the card does not work on the Channel Islands & IOM. For the rest of the UK it states free* incoming.

(*free after payment of the daily usage fee)

DRNewcomb 01-06-2009 17:29

Mobal is an O2-UK SIM with very high rates, but in UK incoming is "free". I believe Celtrek's new sim has free incoming in Belgum as long as you use the Belgum number.

andy 01-06-2009 23:18

The vistream brands Sunsim and Solomo work fine in Germany, not using callback.

As Sunsim told me a couple of years ago: on some older phones, the profile isn't automatically selected, so when switching on put a 1 or 2 before the PIN to select home or abroad mode.

JDekit 02-06-2009 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 27411)
Can you use the ekit Global Premium SIM in the Isle of Man despite that location being the home operator of the SIM? Has anyone ever used these type of SIMs in places like that (I'm guessing they don't expect their users to need to travel to the countries the SIMs are based at)? Has there/could there be problems?

Hi Adam,

I'm the CEO of ekit. The service works the same way in the Isle of Mas as it does elsewhere. There are no issues there.

ekit's dual number service, which provide both a UK +44 number and a US +1 number, uses regular dialling in the US, and callback in all other countries.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

John

Stu 02-06-2009 12:40

09 (RIP) worked in Iceland.

inquisitor 02-06-2009 12:45

@andy
solomo has recently abandoned their dualIMSI-technology. Now you can use the eplus-IMSI (2 + PIN), which was intended for roaming abroad only, even within Germany. Since solomo is based on vistream like SunSIM, I guess that change applies to all vistream-brands.

MATHA531 02-06-2009 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 27461)
09 (RIP) worked in Iceland.

Yes they did; but interestingly enough they never worked in Switzerland and I could never fathom the reason why; something to do with the way they piggybacked on some swiss network which thought the calls were domestic calls or something like that!