PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Americas (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   AT&T GoPhone data and unlocked iPhone 4 (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6756)

mark2000 09-06-2011 01:02

AT&T GoPhone data and unlocked iPhone 4

Please, people, please!

I have looked everywhere for this and no one seems to have a straight answer. I also get a different answer from all the AT&T stores I call, and I have called stores from coast to coast.

I am in Canada. I just signed up for a GoPhone account with $15 credit. WILL MY IPHONE 4 WORK ON A GOPHONE DATA PLAN OR NOT????????????

There's got to be SOMEONE out there in the world who's tried this before. Anyone, I'm desperate for an answer, I cannot throw any more money into trying to figure this out.

PhotoJim 10-06-2011 16:28

I use the GoPhone data plans on my iPhone 3G (I haven't cut down the SIM to work in my iPhone 4 yet). You have to manually configure the APN, but that's not difficult.

I used it in Buffalo last October and I used it in Boca Raton last month and had no trouble.

I tend to activate the data plan via the web portal before I go to the US, so it's ready when I need it.

mark2000 10-06-2011 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 36980)
I use the GoPhone data plans on my iPhone 3G (I haven't cut down the SIM to work in my iPhone 4 yet). You have to manually configure the APN, but that's not difficult.

I used it in Buffalo last October and I used it in Boca Raton last month and had no trouble.

I tend to activate the data plan via the web portal before I go to the US, so it's ready when I need it.

You've nailed my plan down to a tee.

- Will subscribe to the data plan before I take off from Canada in the plane.

- Put in my AT&T SIM in the airplane when I lose cell coverage, when flying to the USA. (using Airplane Mode, of course! :-D)

- Install the APN while I'm in the air, which I plan to save in an email.

- When I land in Newark, I should, if everything goes right, have internet access! :)

weekilter 11-06-2011 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2000 (Post 36982)
You've nailed my plan down to a tee.

- Will subscribe to the data plan before I take off from Canada in the plane.

- Put in my AT&T SIM in the airplane when I lose cell coverage, when flying to the USA. (using Airplane Mode, of course! :-D)

- Install the APN while I'm in the air, which I plan to save in an email.

- When I land in Newark, I should, if everything goes right, have internet access! :)

Don't forget that AT&T will be able to see what you're using by the IMEI being broadcast. I've heard of people attempting to use an iPhone on a GoPhone account only to have it quit working after a period. Officially AT&T doesn't allow iPhones on GoPhone accounts. What may work or may not work always depends.

PhotoJim 11-06-2011 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekilter (Post 36995)
Don't forget that AT&T will be able to see what you're using by the IMEI being broadcast. I've heard of people attempting to use an iPhone on a GoPhone account only to have it quit working after a period. Officially AT&T doesn't allow iPhones on GoPhone accounts. What may work or may not work always depends.

Mine's been in the US several times (I forgot to mention using it in San Diego in February for a week in addition to Buffalo and Boca, and I used it in Rapid City, SD in September too). No issues yet. Obviously I can't state unequivocally that it won't be a problem but it hasn't been for me.

It wouldn't surprise me if AT&T had this attitude and policy with its own locked iPhones. My iPhone 3G is a Rogers iPhone (software unlocked; official unlock will happen August 1) and my iPhone 4 was bought unlocked from Apple.

mark2000 11-06-2011 18:50

Ya. Maybe AT&T can place those limitations on AT&T-branded iPhones. I'm sure they can see my iPhone using the TAC portion of the IMEI, but the rest of my IMEI shouldn't mean anything to them because it's not an AT&T phone.

Sure they could block it solely based on the TAC portion of the IMEI, but I don't think it works like that. I'm willing to bet its limited to blocking their own IMEIs.

PhotoJim 12-06-2011 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2000 (Post 37002)
Sure they could block it solely based on the TAC portion of the IMEI, but I don't think it works like that. I'm willing to bet its limited to blocking their own IMEIs.

I can say this much: if AT&T blocks my GoPhone use in my iPhone, I'll simply let my GoPhone account expire. The very reason I have it is to use with my iPhone in the US, and I'm not in the US anywhere close to frequently enough to justify having a postpaid account (that would cost me many times what I pay now anyway). If I had to, I could easily live with T-Mobile.

Batman 02-07-2011 09:04

Mine worked fine the last two times I was in the US. Last time was last week.

If you tried to cut down a larger SIM card, you might need a new one. That's what I tried to do and it broke my sim. I went to an AT&T store and I told them I lost my SIM. I asked for a microsim - they gave me one for free and activated my account on it! (sure beats Rogers)

I setup my custom APN as the last thing I do before getting on the plane or crossing the border. I sign up for the data package when I'm physically in the US. I've never had a problem.

Stu 02-07-2011 17:38

The attitudes might loosen up with ATT. US Apple stores now sell fully unlocked (but not jailbroken) iPhone 4s to people willing to pay full freight.

Batman 02-07-2011 17:53

ATT used to allow prepaid data usage to iPhone users. About two yeas ago they disallowed it. There's always been lots of unlocked iPhones around and ATT probably wanted more revenue by having some folks (that aren't knowledgable) to switch to a monthly plan.