PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Different call rates to US/Canada mobiles Vs Landlines (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2264)

Bossman 25-06-2007 18:12

Different call rates to US/Canada mobiles Vs Landlines

How can this be possible? Since we do not really differentiate between mobiles and land lines. They are the same areacode and cost the same to call for any other provider that I am aware of. For example to call a US mobile is $1.96 and only $0.05 for a landline.

http://www.freeglobalsim.com/callrates.asp

So, they must have some kind of (very extensive list) that tells them which is which, and they have to build it into how they charge. Have not really testted this since they posted their new rates.

May be someone that knows a little more about how these things work can explain how the rates can be different. The guy (Travis) at freeGlobalsim says he is just going by what rates the carrier they are using told them.

OTOH, it costs only $0.05 and $0.38 to call UK landline and mobile respectively. Similar for all other Western Europe countries. So, if this is true, it's a good card to call back to Europe use for folks visiting the US from Europe.

myonlymobile 25-06-2007 18:51

Correct rate?

Bossman, can you confirm that you are actually charged only $0.05 to call UK landlines from USA with FreeGlobalSIM? If so, that is cheaper than most USA-based prepaid cards! I have a feeling that rate is incorrect, especially since they are charging $1.63 to receive calls in USA.

Bossman 25-06-2007 19:05

I think it's wrong too. But, as I mentioned I have not tested it, but Travis at freeGlobalSim said it's correct. Since it's not listed on their call rates, I made a call to my UM sim and was dinged $2.80. I had my UM sim with me and it did not connect or ring. Anyway....

Out (SIM) 13079816 22-Jun-07 22:47 United States [USA] 423663009XXX USSD 447624129XXX US$ 2.80
From United States [USA] 447624129XXX 0:00:09 US$ 1.9100
To 423663009XXX 423663009XXX 0:00:09 US$ 0.890

Quote:

Originally Posted by myonlymobile (Post 15682)
Bossman, can you confirm that you are actually charged only $0.05 to call UK landlines from USA with FreeGlobalSIM? If so, that is cheaper than most USA-based prepaid cards! I have a feeling that rate is incorrect, especially since they are charging $1.63 to receive calls in USA.

snidely 25-06-2007 23:08

I have noticed for quite some time many sites give diff. rates for U.S. land v. cellular. I assume that' because their rate calculator programs automatically add a figure to land rates to come up w. cell rates. Obviously there is no diff. in rates.

Hmm. Just occurred to me that maybe they can tell if a number is a cell. I think you can still make collect calls to landlines - but never could to cell.

...mike

Bossman 25-06-2007 23:15

I know, how an there be different rates....

As expected, the listed rates before they put in this new change were the same.

prion 26-06-2007 06:12

US mobiles do not charge incoming fees to the caller. It looks as if it is a generic pattern to add rates to cell phones. The question on how to diefferentiate them still remains though.

dg7feq 26-06-2007 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by prion (Post 15697)
US mobiles do not charge incoming fees to the caller. It looks as if it is a generic pattern to add rates to cell phones. The question on how to diefferentiate them still remains though.

to differentiate them would not be too difficult. The databases of the network show to which network a number belongs. This is essential to make the routing of the calls. A friend of mine showed me his database from the cellphone provider. He can clearly see if a number is a Cingular or a landline even if they are in the same area code.

Chris

Bossman 26-06-2007 10:59

Actually, there are several websites out there that will tell you which carrier a wireless number belongs to (Not acurate because of number portability). It will also indicate if it's not a mobile number. But the bottom line is, there should be no difference in rates. And freeGlobalSim's calculator is probably incorrect.

Przemolog 26-06-2007 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 15704)
It will also indicate if it's not a mobile number. But the bottom line is, there should be no difference in rates. And freeGlobalSim's calculator is probably incorrect.

The same feature is in the 09's calculator - they add 20 eurocents/min on top of any call to USA or Canada mobiles :).
BTW, freeGlobalSim's calculator doesn't show mobile rates to Monaco either => no calls to Hop and Kosovo?

dg7feq 26-06-2007 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 15704)
Actually, there are several websites out there that will tell you which carrier a wireless number belongs to (Not acurate because of number portability). It will also indicate if it's not a mobile number. But the bottom line is, there should be no difference in rates. And freeGlobalSim's calculator is probably incorrect.

of course there should be no difference. I guess here in Europe we are so used to more expensive calls to mobiles that they just try their luck at several carriers and add a mobile surcharge also for US/Canadian mobile numbers.

Chris