PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   UK & Ireland (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Activate Three UK PAYG SIM From Overseas (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6483)

Anthony 18-01-2011 07:42

Activate Three UK PAYG SIM From Overseas

Hello

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to active a Three UK PAYG SIM from overseas or does the SIM initially need to connect to the home network? My Mother has purchased a Three UK PAYG SIM from an eBay seller for her upcoming visit to the UK and was hoping I would be able to activate and configure the SIM for her before she leaves.

Thank you.

Malkav 18-01-2011 18:02

afik yes she does need to be in the UK for a payg sim to activate...though I could be wrong...

Anthony 18-01-2011 22:59

The SIM arrived in the mail today.

I can confirm that activation from overseas is possible.

kimdo 15-01-2012 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 35302)
The SIM arrived in the mail today.

I can confirm that activation from overseas is possible.

Hi,

May I know how to activate the 3 SIM from overseas?

I plan to visit UK, and will buy a Pay As You Go mobile broadband 1G SIM. But I don't know how to activate it.

Many thanks

Anthony 15-01-2012 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimdo (Post 38472)
Hi,

May I know how to activate the 3 SIM from overseas?

I plan to visit UK, and will buy a Pay As You Go mobile broadband 1G SIM. But I don't know how to activate it.

Many thanks

It was a long time ago that I did this so I can't remember clearly.

Unless things have changed I think the activation process will work as long as your UK PAYG carrier has a roaming agreement with a carrier in your home country. From memory I think I put the UK SIM in my phone whilst in Australia and ensured I had carrier signal. I then activated the SIM online.

kimdo 15-01-2012 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 38475)
It was a long time ago that I did this so I can't remember clearly.

Unless things have changed I think the activation process will work as long as your UK PAYG carrier has a roaming agreement with a carrier in your home country. From memory I think I put the UK SIM in my phone whilst in Australia and ensured I had carrier signal. I then activated the SIM online.

Thanks for you reply.

May I know how to activate the SIM online? Need to send activation code? Or just dial a specific number and receive a confirmation SMS? thanks again

Anthony 15-01-2012 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimdo (Post 38476)
Thanks for you reply.

May I know how to activate the SIM online? Need to send activation code? Or just dial a specific number and receive a confirmation SMS? thanks again

I suggest visiting the UK PAYG carriers' website where you will no doubt find instructions to activate a PAYG SIM.

andy 15-01-2012 19:06

I think it will just work, without any specific activation needed.

I got a 3 zero-rental contract SIM a few months ago, and it just worked when put in a phone, as did the previous contract one and a prepaid one

Most UK SIMs are like that, though for Orange you need to phone up, and for giffgaff activate online using a code printed on the SIM

In fact I'd suggest if it's a 3 SIM intended as a data SIM in a dongle, and comes with with an already prepaid bundle of data for a month, these say the time starts automatically from the first use, so I think I'd avoid using it abroad before arrival.

On the other hand, with others you add a bundle when you want, and to do this online it would be done by starting an account on the website. The 3 mobile website is free to browse from the phone, and you can do it all on there if you want. However, the only time I've added a data bundle (to a different SIM) I did it by calling them.

There is something I remember about adding payment card though on the website, I think it needs doing a few days on advance, but I believe they may not accept foreign debit and credit cards, so you'd probably just use a voucher from a shop.

kimdo 16-01-2012 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 38478)
I think it will just work, without any specific activation needed.

I got a 3 zero-rental contract SIM a few months ago, and it just worked when put in a phone, as did the previous contract one and a prepaid one

Most UK SIMs are like that, though for Orange you need to phone up, and for giffgaff activate online using a code printed on the SIM

In fact I'd suggest if it's a 3 SIM intended as a data SIM in a dongle, and comes with with an already prepaid bundle of data for a month, these say the time starts automatically from the first use, so I think I'd avoid using it abroad before arrival.

On the other hand, with others you add a bundle when you want, and to do this online it would be done by starting an account on the website. The 3 mobile website is free to browse from the phone, and you can do it all on there if you want. However, the only time I've added a data bundle (to a different SIM) I did it by calling them.

There is something I remember about adding payment card though on the website, I think it needs doing a few days on advance, but I believe they may not accept foreign debit and credit cards, so you'd probably just use a voucher from a shop.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for for information.
I will ask for help fom my friend, who will travel UK in Easter. He will bought me a 3 Mobile Broadband 3G SIM (1 month). I have sent email to three.co.uk for query, still waiting for their reply.

tux 03-08-2013 19:27

Do 3 UK allow top-ups with foreign credit-cards? I was thinking to move my O2 number to 3... the Text&Web tariff is almost old and useless :D