PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   UK & Ireland (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   T-Mobile Euro Internet Booster - cheap data roaming in Europe (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5753)

kctopitz 05-04-2010 06:45

T-Mobile Euro Internet Booster - cheap data roaming in Europe

This info was hinted at in a recent thread about cheap data roaming in Europe, but was inaccurate and incomplete so I thought I'd make a new post.

As of March 1, 2010 T-Mobile UK is offering a Euro Internet Booster for their SIMs when roaming in Europe. The 20MB for £5 over 7 days and 50MB for £10 over 30 days are the best deals. Combined with FishText, this could make a great way for keeping in touch via SMS when roaming in Europe.

Quote:

Euro Internet Boosters (for your phone)

Euro Internet 3MB £1

* Surf the internet for a whole day up to 3MB
* Use it anytime up to 24 hours from when you buy it
* Check your emails or browse your favourite websites
* Update Facebook or Twitter with your holiday status
* Make plans using sites like TripAdvisor

Euro Internet 20MB £5

* Surf the internet for a whole week up to 20MB
* Use it anytime up to 7 days from when you buy it
* Same stuff as 3MB, plus
* Surf for a whole week on you favourite sites
* Keep in touch with your social sites, send emails and share your photo's

Euro Internet 50MB £10

* Surf the internet for a whole month up to 50MB
* Use it over 30 days from when you buy it
* Same stuff as 20MB, plus
* Surf your favourite sites for a whole month
* Check and reply to work or personal emails for your whole stay

How to get your Euro Internet or Broadband Booster

Just try to access data in the normal way via your handset or log in to your mobile broadband account when you're in Europe and you'll be offered the relevant options above - just choose the one you need and get surfing.

Pay per day customers
Make sure you top up before you go, and the cost will come off your balance.

f300 08-04-2010 09:09

This looks very promising for low usage.
I see them stating:

Quote:

Pay per day customers
Make sure you top up before you go, and the cost will come off your balance.
What is "Pay per day customers"? Is it some kind of prepaid? If yes it would be appreciated if somebody could include some short info about how to get and how to recharge these cards for non-uk residents (if possible at all). This looks _very_ promising; it's better than any MVNO offering AFAIK and it's T-Mobile so it should work better than mostly anything else.

inquisitor 08-04-2010 10:50

T-Mobile UK SIMs can be topped up by non-Britons directly online on the T-Mobile website with AmEx credit cards (German Mastercard and Visa were not accepted when I tried it the last time).
Alternatively there's an online shop offering British top up vouchers below nominal value at Cheap Mobile Phone Top Up
See also http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...ad-online.html

f300 17-05-2010 11:31

Ok, here is my first experience with these boosters:

- bought a prepaid "pay per day" data (although it had voice+SMS as well) SIM
- was surprised to find out that there's no roaming at all on these cards
- however the EU boosters ARE available to "normal" T-Mobile.uk prepaid cards and the type of the card can be changed for free every 30 days (support is quite responsive and available both on the phone and email). Once the provisioning of the SIM is changed you can't use it with a 3G stick in your laptop (I'm sure there are way around this but for 3 MB is not worth it)
- used once the booster for 1 day (3 MB = 1 pound). Activation is done on the phone, browser needed (you need to chose which booster you want). Really useful, did not even get to use all 3 MB (not even 2). Good stuff.

raywright1 21-05-2010 19:44

personal data usage / TMO booster

when i use my mobile phone for data, i do not stream media and i rarely surf a web page. my usage is client email, contact & calendar synchronization (google), and some rss (some rss usage does result in podcast downloads however). i also occasionally tether my laptop over 3G using WMWiFiRouter.

i'm totally baffled as to why my usage is so high. here is a summary of my last 6 months of data usage with AT&T/USA.

nov09: 320MB
dec09: 355MB
jan10: 680MB
feb10: 985MB
mar10: 488MB
apr10: 613MB

what hope is there of being able to function normally while abroad? are americans just spoiled with low rates ($30 soft-limit 5GB with AT&T)?

i suppose the TMO (UK) 40MB/day for 1GBP would work if i just get email headers and do not download podcasts. but the other rates i see (especially trans-europe roaming cards) are far too expensive.

are there any other plans for high usage? (i'm systematically going through all the thread posts so perhaps it's answered elsewhere).

how does anyone realistically get by on 3MB/day or 20MB/week or 50MB/month? what kind of ordinary usage fits those kinds of tiers? maybe i'll just adapt while i'm traveling.

f300 21-05-2010 20:25

He, he ... americans spoiled. The same T-mobile UK we're talking about has a special for one month for two pounds (2GB included). Normal price is 15/month (still acceptable and it's prepaid!). Of course this isn't roaming.

The roaming prices are daylight robbery, we can agree on that especially when roaming with the same company. As for low data usage it depends on your specific device but with phones if you don't download all emails that rain on you and you don't do multimedia you should be able to get by with 3 MB per day. That is by reading all emails you're interested in and with chat and browsing (assuming you aren't especially efficient at chat and browsing on a mobile).

adam917 22-05-2010 03:00

Isn't Vodafone UK alright at least for short-term light use in the EU? They charge 4.99 GBP/day for up to 25 MB (though the 1st MB is charged 4.99 in 1 (or was that 10?) KB steps I believe).

chrisuoft 30-05-2010 00:43

Hi, does anyone know if this booster will work on pay as you go with a blackberry? I can't find anything on their website regarding booster with blackberry data.

Thanks!
Chris

Motel75 09-12-2010 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 32589)
Isn't Vodafone UK alright at least for short-term light use in the EU? They charge 4.99 GBP/day for up to 25 MB (though the 1st MB is charged 4.99 in 1 (or was that 10?) KB steps I believe).

4.99? I thought it was 50p a day.

obsidian 09-12-2010 12:26

Vodafone Italy has a new add-on for data roaming (phone use, not usb dongle).

It's called Passport Mobile Internet and it gives you 100Mb a day for just 2€ till May 31 2011.
After May 31 you get 50Mb a day for 2€ plus 1,5€ of standard national tariff if you don't have any national data option on your sim.

I think it's a pretty good deal for short trips in Europe. :)