PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   UK & Ireland (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   SIM for London & Edinburgh (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8219)

lizzie1955 16-09-2013 02:12

SIM for London & Edinburgh

This may well be the most stupid question of all times, but here goes...

Am I correct to assume that I can use the same UK SIM in London and Edinburgh or are there different providers England and Scotland.

Motel75 16-09-2013 06:52

They are the same.

HappyCamp 16-09-2013 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzie1955 (Post 44206)
This may well be the most stupid question of all times, but here goes...

Am I correct to assume that I can use the same UK SIM in London and Edinburgh or are there different providers England and Scotland.

The same SIM should work throughout all of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not sure about places like Isle of Man though.

lizzie1955 16-09-2013 12:40

Thought so. Thank you.

NFH 17-09-2013 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyCamp (Post 44219)
The same SIM should work throughout all of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not sure about places like Isle of Man though.

Yes, the same British networks operate throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey are all outside the UK, and despite using area codes and mobile codes under the UK's +44 country code, these Crown dependencies have their own mobile networks with consequent roaming charges between them and the UK.

Even worse, because the Crown dependencies are not in the UK, they are not in the EU or EEA, and consequently the EU roaming regulations don't apply. Although most UK networks voluntarily apply EU price caps when roaming in the Crown dependencies, the Crown dependencies' networks don't do the same in the other direction.

AftOf245 18-09-2013 00:27

I am new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been covered. My wife is in London and she will be getting a Pay As you go phone, I have looked at all the plans and they do not refer to any costs for incoming calls? I will be calling her from Canada from my mobile phone.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thank you in advance

HappyCamp 18-09-2013 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by AftOf245 (Post 44317)
I am new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been covered. My wife is in London and she will be getting a Pay As you go phone, I have looked at all the plans and they do not refer to any costs for incoming calls? I will be calling her from Canada from my mobile phone.

I'm not an expert but I believe if you are not roaming, for example you bought a local market SIM card. That incoming phone calls are free as the caller is the one who gets charged for the phone calls.

Motel75 18-09-2013 08:42

In Europe, incoming calls are free, unless you are roaming in another country. Paying for incoming calls is a peculiarity of the North American telephone system, where mobile and landline phones share the same numbers.

tux 18-09-2013 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motel75 (Post 44332)
In Europe, incoming calls are free, unless you are roaming in another country. Paying for incoming calls is a peculiarity of the North American telephone system, where mobile and landline phones share the same numbers.

The point in North American networks is that there's no termination fee: carriers bill both to the caller and the receiver to maintain the network. Here the receiving provider earns some money if the calling customer is on another network. In NA no. ;)

Motel75 18-09-2013 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by tux (Post 44347)
The point in North American networks is that there's no termination fee: carriers bill both to the caller and the receiver to maintain the network. Here the receiving provider earns some money if the calling customer is on another network. In NA no. ;)

Correct. And there couldn't be a termination fee (= calls to mobile numbers are more expensive) unless the mobile numbers were different. So the recipient gets to pay the premium instead.