PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Mobile data in Germany? (but D1/D2 only) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5528)

petkow 15-12-2009 08:43

Mobile data in Germany? (but D1/D2 only)

I am going to be in Germany at the end of the week, and I have been told that there is very poor coverage on o2 and EPlus where I will be. (Though I'll do a proper check when I get there).

However, most decent data offerings I have seen (e.g. Tchibo, Simyo) are on o2 or EPlus. What are the lowest cost options for data with my 3G modem given that I should be looking for SIMs with an MVNO (or other) on T-Mobil or Vodafone only?

I am intending on leaving whatever I setup for someone else to use afterwards. Useage will be between 20 to 30MB/day.

inquisitor 15-12-2009 15:08

On the T-Mobile network there are only Penny Mobil (sold at Penny supermarkets) and Rewe Mobil (sold at Rewe supermarkets), who both offer a dayflat for € 2.50, but bandwidth is throttled to 384 KBit/s, allthough T-Mobile's 3G-network is completley HSPA-enabled. These dayflats are billed by calendar day (from 00:00 - 23:59 h).

Choice is wider on Vodafone:
Vodafone themselves offer the so-called "Websessions", that can be used with any prepaid SIM from Vodafone Germany and can be paid by credit card at the beginning of each session. Pricing is:
7 days (limited to 1GB) for € 9.95
24 h (limited to 1GB) for € 4.95
2h (limited to 1 GB) for € 1.95
15min (limited to 1 GB) for € 0.49

There are two MVNOs, that offer Vodafone's Websessions with modified tariffs under their own brand:
BILDmobil (named after the German tabloid "Bild")
7 days (limited to 1GB) for € 6.99
90 min (limited to 1GB) for € 0.99
30 min (limited to 1GB) for € 0.59

N24 mobil (named after the TV channel "N24")
7 days (limited to 1GB) for € 9.99
12h (limited to 1GB) for € 2.99
1h (limited to 1GB) for € 0.99

You'll find detailed information on Vodafone's Websessions at Germany - Vodafone Web Sessions - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access
BILDmobil's and N24's offers are absolutely identical to Websessions (including APNs) but tariffs differ and they are only distributed online.

petkow 15-12-2009 17:34

Thanks for that very detailed reply inquisitor. I really am impressed at the number of MVNO's in Germany! It already seems that every supermarket, bakery, butcher and coffee shop already has one but now it seems the newspapers and TV channel (and their dogs) want to start their own as well! I really wonder if there really is that much money left in this! I suppose if there's some new way to make more money out of your existing customer base you should try!

I am indeed leaning towards BILDmobil now. Let's see how this goes down... I'm supposed to be leaving this behind for my Dad to use, and he really hates that newspaper! ;)

VladS 15-12-2009 17:47

I for one would rather go for the original Vodafone product since the price difference is minimal.

The Vodafone card is also less expensive to use internationally (EUR14.95 vs EUR19.95 with BILD and N24) and the validity can be extended every 12 months with a simple call to their service number (no top-up required).

petkow 15-12-2009 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by VladS (Post 30453)
The Vodafone card is also less expensive to use internationally (EUR14.95 vs EUR19.95 with BILD and N24) and the validity can be extended every 12 months with a simple call to their service number (no top-up required).

Not too worried about the Validity, but interesting point on internatioal use. What are the prices you quote for?

petkow 15-12-2009 17:55

Oops got it now I think. Just answered my own question by following some links. Even 14,95 for a mere 50MB whilst roaming seems completely OTT! Still cheaper than most data roaming option though but I think I probably wouldn't use that anyhow! However you are right, there's not a huge difference in price within Germany anyhow!

inquisitor 15-12-2009 18:05

Vlad is referring to the international WebSession, which will grant a volume of 50MB valid for 24h in most European countries, however only on one Vodafone partner network per country. Actually N24 and BILDmobil are both more expensive when it comes to the international WebSession, as they charge € 20 instead of € 15, but I don't consider any of these tariffs reasonable.
That prolongation-trick, which I described in the pwia-wiki, should also work with N24 and BILDmobil.

@Petkow
For the case you haven't noticed it yet, you have a personal message from me.

If you're looking for a long-term solution, there are also some interesting postpaid-tariffs without minimum term on T-Mobile and Vodafone:
UMTS Tarifvergleich | UMTS Flatrate Vergleich - Online Vergleichen und Sparen!
But those will pay off only if you stay with them for a longer period, because there's a setup fee ("Anschlußgebühr") of € 50-60.

petkow 15-12-2009 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by inquisitor (Post 30456)
@Petkow
For the case you haven't noticed it yet, you have a personal message from me.

Got it... thanks! Also sent you a reply!

Quote:

If you're looking for a long-term solution, there are also some interesting postpaid-tariffs without minimum term on T-Mobile and Vodafone:
UMTS Tarifvergleich | UMTS Flatrate Vergleich - Online Vergleichen und Sparen!
But those will pay off only if you stay with them for a longer period, because there's a setup fee ("Anschlußgebühr") of € 50-60.
Thanks for that link! It looks like a good going rate is 20 Euros a month. I'll do a site survey once I am there to see if there really is no decent o2 coverage before I commit to anything with that high a setupfee. Otherwise I think I will try Tchibo. By the way talking of setup fees, I love the way German companies like to list a "Grund Gebühr" and an "Anschluß Gebühr" seperately! Don't the two basically mean exactly the same thing! ;)

VladS 15-12-2009 18:13

@inquisitor

Thanks for the clarifications on the N24 and BILDmobile offers. But... Are these two packages even available in stores? I could only find them in their own webshops...

As for the EUR15/50MB International WebSession, I still see a good use for it, but then again, I come from the other side of the pond where we pay $25-50/MB in roaming fees.

petkow 15-12-2009 18:21

As far as I know all is only available online. (Perhaps the reason is that unlike the supermarket MVNO's, Bild and N24 do not have shops as such).

By the way, the international rate is not too bad for some cases. Even here at a rate of around 5 Euros per MB it can make good sense to have a websession if you are in that imporatant meeting overseas and embarrisingly discovered you do not have the latest version of that powerpoint presentation on your laptop.