PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Vodafone to Aldi (prepaid)... # transfer etc. (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7426)

janyyc 17-10-2012 19:01

Vodafone to Aldi (prepaid)... # transfer etc.

Hi all,

I am currently using a Vodafone.de SIM card with the 9.99 EUR option for internet... I have used the number for over a year (I'm in Germany each month) so I would like to keep the same number, if possible.

I looked at the Aldi card and it seems much better because of the unlimited internet at 14.99 EUR a month and the calling rates to Canada ^ (.12 EUR a minute).

The cons though, are that the network is (supposedly?) worse, that I can't top up anywhere, and that I am not sure how the number transfer process works...

This is not an "emergency" but rather something I'd like to research during the next month...

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jan

inquisitor 17-10-2012 23:20

In order to port your number of a prepaid SIM to another operator you need to:
  1. send a waiver (so called "Verzichtserklärung") to your old operator. For Vodafone you will find a "Verzichtserklärung" here.
  2. Make sure you have at least € 30 credit left on your Vodafone SIM card in order to cover the export fee charged by Vodafone.
  3. Order your new operator to import your number.

Please note the following:
  • Allow at least 3-4 days after submission the waiver to be processed by your old operator before you order your new operator to import your number. If your new operator requests your number to be ported before your old operator has processed the form, they will not release your number.
  • If the remaining balance on your SIM card does not cover the export fee, your old operator will also refuse the porting.
  • Make sure the following personal details are absolutely identical with your old and your new operator:
    • firstname
    • lastname
    • date of birth
    If only a single letter or number differs, the porting will fail since this data will be matched by a computer-based system.
  • Be aware that some operators allow importing a number to an existing SIM card for which the existing number will then be replaced, while other operators do only import numbers if requested upon order/registration of a mint SIM card.
  • Some operators do reward number imports with a credit bonus.

E-Plus, the network Aldi is based on, is a total mess, especially when it comes to data, and there's also no point to select these guys from a price point of view as you can get better service at the same or at even cheaper prices. In your case I would recommend Lidl, who also have a 5GB flatrate like Aldi while their domestic and international calling rates are cheaper (€ 0.09/min within Germany and to North American networks). The only disadvantage of Lidl is, that they will throttle your speed until midnight if you exceed 500MB on a single day, while Aldi only throttles once you exceed 5GB within a month.
Lidl support and actually require later importing as you first have to go through the usual activation procecdure during which you will be assigned a new number. Once your SIM has been fully activatedy you can start the porting process online through their customer portal. After your number has been imported you will receive a bonus of € 25.

The actual porting will usually occur two weeks after your order. Meanwhile you can usually still use your SIM card from your old operator - just be careful to have enough credit left until the moment when your old operator charges the export fee (which can be anytime between the moment when your old operator receives the porting request from your new operator and the date of the actual porting).

janyyc 17-10-2012 23:56

Wow! Thank you so much inquisitor!!!

I couldn't imagine a better or more detailed post!!!

I think I'll actually stick with Voda -
I am currently using the CallYa Smartphone Fun S package. Yes, it's throttled after 200 MB, but for my purposes that's OK.
I just found out today that it already includes cheap int'l calling - I just never knew!!! 5 cents to Canada, for example.

BTW, is the intl calling rate in addition to airtime used or a separate rate? I ask because it seems to be cheaper to call Poland than domestic in Germany!!

Am I right?!

inquisitor 18-10-2012 00:05

The advertised international rates in the "Smartphone Fun S" tariff are all you pay and not a surcharge to domestic rates.

But be aware that Vodafone charges a connection fee of € 0.15 for each successful international call and since statistically most calls remain below 2 minutes, you practically pay more than those 5 cents. That's why calls to Polish landlines appear cheaper than they actually are. Also be aware that calls to mobile networks are significantly cheaper to countries which use the calling-party-pays regime (which includes nearly the whole world except for North America).

janyyc 18-10-2012 00:24

Thank you!

Statistically maybe yes, but my phone calls are usually 5 min + so I find it an excellent rate!!