PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   German Fonic questions... (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6268)

dg7feq 17-08-2011 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 37583)
Hello Pre-Paid GSM.

It's been a while since I've used Fonic, but I have one question fairly straight forward.

Can you tell me the appropriate APN settings so I can pre-program my Android Phone?

I've found the : pinternet.interkom.de ..... and the settings on the fonic page.... but if I am not mistaken, shouldn't there also be MNC (mobile Network Code) and a MCC (Mobile Carrier Code) that I should provide? I believe the MNC for german carriers is 262... but what about the MCC for Fonic?

Thanks in advance!

You dont have to set anything beside the APN. And even the APN doesnt matter on o2 network, they will connect on all kind of APN names.

Christian

inquisitor 17-08-2011 09:55

Fonic use O2's network, which has the MNC 07 but as dg7feq wrote, you don't need to enter anything else besides the APN and the APN again can be just anything.

CptBill 13-09-2011 22:13

Hello guys. Just purchased a 15 euro top up card from a lidl store for my fonic number.
I followed the instructions on the receipt and now when I type *101# I can see that I have 15 euro but when I login to the fonic webpage I see 0 euro as my balance. Also I cannot use the internet. It stopped when my balance dropped to 0 euro. Shouldn't be working after the 15 euro top us card I used? And why my balance on fonic webpage is 0euro?

inquisitor 13-09-2011 23:47

The balance shown on the website is not realtime, however the USSD-query by *101# definitely is. Now that you have € 15 on your account, you should be able to access the web again. Maybe try to power cycle your phone.

Motel75 14-09-2011 07:47

How long does it take the 5 euro bonus for recommending someone to appear in the account?

inquisitor 14-09-2011 10:01

Unfortunately up to 3 weeks (FONIC ? Kunden werben).

inquisitor 09-04-2012 11:17

I've just received the following questions by PM which I'd like to answer publicly so others may have use of my answers, too:

Quote:

Sorry never done a thread before and don't know where to post my question.
I have used your excellent posts before and purchased a Fonic sim at Staples in De.and referred your number for your credit. .
I used the my Fonic sim in a regular handy and topped it up again last time in Germany.
Now I am returing to Germany and hoping to use it in a unlocked Smart phone.
1.Can I use the same card or do I need to buy one specifically for a smartphone?
Fonic does only have one single type of SIM cards through which you can access any of their tariffs. So yes, you can use your SIM card in any device, be it a dumb phone, a smartphone or a data device.

Quote:

2.If I can use it in the smartphone what do I need to do to activate the Internet-Tagesflatrate mit Kostenschutz 2,50eu,oder the Handy-Internet-Flatrate 9,95eu?
You can activate any of these tariffs by SMS or through Fonic's website. Please refer to Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access for detailed instructions.

Quote:

3.Also,This time I am also thinking possibly of buying a surfstick, for my netbook.
Does the same sim card go into the surfstick? or should I buy a seperate one?
As long as your Fonic SIM is not a microSIM (the super-small ones used by these fruit phones) it will fit in any of these sticks. But what smartphone do you actually own? Usually you can tether your netbook to your smartphone by Wifi or at least by a USB cable and so you could share the smartphones Internet connection with your netbook.

Benjymoto 02-05-2012 08:52

Fonic confirmation of address letter

Hi,

Just wondering if fonic is sending out letters to confirm the address used in registration like lidl? using the same network I'd expect them to but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Ben

inquisitor 02-05-2012 10:12

Yes, they do, too. Actually Lidl is just a rebranded tariff variety of Fonic realized by the same company which is also the contract partner for both tariffs. That's why Lidl SIMs are actually activated through Fonic's website.

Benjymoto 02-05-2012 19:30

Thanks Inquisitor, guess I'll just give lidl a shot and hope for the best. They don't half make it difficult for people to give them money :)

cainius 07-08-2012 21:24

Hey guys great read about fonic. I have a question and cant seem to find it anywhere else.

I have been using fonic for a while and love it, but i have a few missed calls and my mailbox got the calls. Every time i call my mailbox (my number) i think it says its not active or set up and hangs up. any clues on how to fix this?

inquisitor 07-08-2012 21:44

You need to insert 33 between the 0176-prefix and your remaining number in order to call your mailbox

If your Fonic number was 0176/39123456 you would need to call 0176/3339123456 for your mailbox.

cainius 07-08-2012 22:09

thank you for the help. do you know how i can change the language from german to english on the mailbox. i remember T-Mobile were able to do it in the shop but there are no fonic shops here.

inquisitor 07-08-2012 23:29

Try dialing 9 (for Maibox Einstellung/configuration) and then select 5 (Sprachwahl/language selection) in the voice menu. That's at least how you do it works for contract subscribers on o2.

um98 11-08-2012 22:50

This is a really helpful thread. A few details that would be great follow. Thanks in advance for the help.

Anyone with recent experience on how many days after activation the mail from Fonic shows up? Was thinking to time the activation with my hotel arrival so they do not refuse it and the sim would get locked.

Is the €5 bonus promotion still valid? Is there a limit to how many "friends" you can have in a month?

Knighta 17-08-2012 10:16

FONIC help needed!

Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone knows how to fix my problem? I'm in Germany and have a prepaid FONIC sim. It was working fine until I texted a UK number...after that I got an SMS from Fonic saying I had to call their customer service, followed by another SMS that was blank.
Same thing happened to my boyfriend when he texted a UK number.
Now neither of our phones work. Can't text, can't call - useless. It seems the SIMs have been locked or something.
I called customer service from a landline (since my phone isn't working - even to call fonic) and asked if anyone could speak English (my German is pretty basic)...the woman said no but that I'd be called back. I haven't been called back and I'm now stuck with no phone and no way to fix it.
I've still got over 9 euros of credit. I've got a 'my fonic' online account management thing, but there's nothing there about what the problem is.
Suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!

inquisitor 17-08-2012 11:23

Do you happen to have activated your Fonic SIM card with an invalid address? In spring Fonic started sending out confirmation letters shortly after activation. If the letter is undeliverable and thus being returned Fonic will temporarily disable SIM cards until a valid address has been provided.
If this is the case there should be a message on the customer portal saying:
SIM Kartenstatus: "nur erreichbar"
In order to unblock your SIM card call Fonic customer care at 01805-880488, explain them that you are a visitor and give them your current accomodation's address. They won't send out another confirmation letter but unblock your SIM card within minutes.

Knighta 17-08-2012 11:50

a-ha! Thank you, that sounds EXACTLY like what has happened. I used the address of the flat we're staying in for 3 months, but we don't have a key for the mailbox so wouldn't have got the confirmation letter. I'll try calling them again and hopefully can sort it out. Thanks again for the quick response.

Knighta 17-08-2012 11:58

Yes, just spoke to FONIC and they're going to unlock my SIM. Thanks very much, inquisitor!

tux 18-08-2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by inquisitor (Post 40375)
Do you happen to have activated your Fonic SIM card with an invalid address? In spring Fonic started sending out confirmation letters shortly after activation. If the letter is undeliverable and thus being returned Fonic will temporarily disable SIM cards until a valid address has been provided.
If this is the case there should be a message on the customer portal saying:
SIM Kartenstatus: "nur erreichbar"
In order to unblock your SIM card call Fonic customer care at 01805-880488, explain them that you are a visitor and give them your current accomodation's address. They won't send out another confirmation letter but unblock your SIM card within minutes.

I'm about to buy one Fonic sim from Amazon, but, before buying, I've got a few questions: how many days the delivery of the letter takes? Does that letter contain any important activation info? Can I tell Fonic that I'm a visitor in advance, or do I have to wait until they block my sim?

Thank you. :bye:

inquisitor 19-08-2012 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tux (Post 40406)
I'm about to buy one Fonic sim from Amazon, but, before buying, I've got a few questions: how many days the delivery of the letter takes?

Deutsche Post claims letters to arrive in Italy within 2-4 days.

Quote:

Does that letter contain any important activation info?
The confirmation letter that will be sent out after activation does not contain any relevant information except for confirming your personal data.

Quote:

Can I tell Fonic that I'm a visitor in advance, or do I have to wait until they block my sim?
No, you can't. The smoothest way is to register the SIM with a hotel's or other accomodation's address where the postman will assume that the recipient is a guest and so will deliver it instead of returning it.

Are you actually aware that Fonic offer a cheaper tariff under the brand of "Lidl"? The only problem is that there are no other resellers besides Lidl supermarkets.

gardengrrl 19-08-2012 05:20

Hello, I am new to this forum and have found the information here quite helpful. I am traveling to Mannheim for business in September. I will have an unlocked iPhone 4S, and I am interested in purchasing a prepaid SIM that I can use for voice calls as well as data. The Fonic option is appealing and it seems like the coverage will be good. If I am understanding what I've read, I should expect to pay € 9,95 for the card and will get a € 10 credit with that, which I can apply to the data and voice calls. I will only be in Germany for about 6 days total. If I want to top up, I can purchase vouchers around town for a minimum of € 20. Should the € 10 credit be sufficient for my week in Germany? If incoming calls are free, I was thinking it would make sense to associate the German telephone number with my Google Voice account, then my family in the U.S. can reach me with the U.S. number and it will use the data instead of the voice minutes. I should also be able to make outgoing calls through Google Voice, I believe.

Is it possible to purchase the Fonic SIM card prior to arriving in Germany and have it shipped to me in the U.S.?

Regarding the need to provide a German address for verification, I have colleagues in Germany, so I would think I could use the address of someone I know to ensure that the mail does not get returned to Fonic so that my card will not get blocked.

I have a travel companion joining me and we will be arriving on different airlines at approximately the same time. I was hoping to have everything set up properly in advance of arrival so that we would be able to communicate by telephone once we arrive at the airport to make arrangements to meet up.

Does it sound like I have understood all of this correctly? Please let me know if I've missed anything or if I am confusing the details.

I really appreciate any advice and all of the great information on this site!

Kind regards,
Angie

tux 19-08-2012 11:40

Hehe, the problem is that I'll be in an apartment, and I don't think the postman will deliver the letter, or that I'll have the keys of the mailbox.

inquisitor 19-08-2012 11:44

Actually you don't need access to the mailbox as the letter does not contain any information of relevance. You could solve the problem by temporarily attaching your name to the mailbox, so the letter can be delivered.

andy 20-08-2012 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardengrrl (Post 40408)
Is it possible to purchase the Fonic SIM card prior to arriving in Germany and have it shipped to me in the U.S.?

Regarding the need to provide a German address for verification, I have colleagues in Germany, so I would think I could use the address of someone I know to ensure that the mail does not get returned to Fonic so that my card will not get blocked.

I have a travel companion joining me and we will be arriving on different airlines at approximately the same time. I was hoping to have everything set up properly in advance of arrival so that we would be able to communicate by telephone once we arrive at the airport to make arrangements to meet up.

It's not just for verification, but I believe many German networks will not send to an address outside Germany, so perhaps you can ask those contacts to obtain and forward SIMs for you.

123456 20-08-2012 18:03

Found this message on Twitter:
Quote:

We reviewed your account and found that our welcoming letter got returned. If this happens your card automatically gets blocked to prevent your data from abuse. Please send an email with your FONIC number, your current address and first three characters of your password to: facebook.fonic@brand-affairs.de We will then unblock you SIM card as soon as we can!
Best Regards, Johanna / FONIC team
Maybe usefull for somebody?

inquisitor 21-08-2012 00:41

That's basicly what I reported on the previous page, but the email address you shared may be useful anyway. Pretty unprofessional to use and publish an email address with a PR agency's domain by the way. Couldn't they at least set up an alias (e.g. facebook@fonic.com) that would be forwarded to the PR agency instead?

onopko 30-08-2012 15:06

Hi! A quick question that I haven't seen in the forum. I have a Fonic SMART activated. How can I know how much have I used from the 500 mb? The usage goes from 1st to 31st of each month, right?

Thanks in advance!

123456 30-08-2012 17:42

The Fonic website says it is 1 month use from the day the Flatrate was activated:
Quote:

Die 500 Freieinheiten inkl. Internet Flatrate stehen ab dem Tag der Buchung/Verlängerung 1 Monat zur Verfügung. Ein Monat bedeutet z.B. 27.4. bis 27.5.
Sie erhalten eine SMS nachdem Sie mehr als 300 Frei-Einheiten verbraucht haben und kurz bevor die Frei-Einheiten ganz aufgebraucht sind.
Or maybe have a look at Mein Fonic?

inquisitor 30-08-2012 20:59

There's no way of checking your data usage. You will just receive a text message shortly before you reach the throttling threshold and another one once throttling applies.

CptBill 07-10-2012 20:57

anyone knows if fonic offers packages with nano sims?
Last time i visited germany i found in media markt fonic packages (With the number of ur choice) with micro sim ready which was a pleasant surprise.

inquisitor 07-10-2012 23:03

According to a blog entry on their website Fonic offers free replacement of newly bought SIM cards with Nano SIMs but I guess there are still plenty of old SIM cards on shop shelves. So better print out this template and take a pair of sharp scissors with you (but don't carry them in your hand luggage). By the way Fonic also offers a SIM card with even better tariffs under the brand of "Lidl mobile".

CptBill 08-10-2012 14:12

thanks inquisitor :)
On thursday i will be in Munich and i will try my luck to purchase a iphone 5 from the Apple store. If i am lucky enough to find it, then i will switch to nano :p

inquisitor 08-10-2012 14:44

Germany isn't the cheapest place to buy an iPhone 5 as the following comparison shows: Bildergalerie iPhone im Ausland billiger Bild 1 / 2

TheMadBrewer 10-10-2012 20:55

Address Question

I am going to buy a couple of Fonic SIMs to replace the ones from Solomo.

When I bought the Solomo SIMs I had them sent to a friend, but I was able to specify a shipping address separately, e.g. " Klaus Schmidt, z. Hd TheMadBrewer..."

From reading Inquisitor's great directions (http://prepaid-wireless-internet-acc...ermany+-+Fonic) it looks the letter will be addressed to the name I use to activate the SIM.

So my question is, should I put in my name or my friends? I guess this is really about Deutsche Post -- will they deliver the letter to my friends house with my name on it? I would rather not activate the SIM under his name -- I have visions of losing my phone/SIM and somebody finds it and does something bad -- and the police come calling on my friend :) (unlikely, I know, but you get the idea).

Plan B would be to use the hotel address, but I worry the hotel may refuse the letter. I take it there is nothing in the letter I actually need, so it would be OK to tell them to just throw it away?

Yes, I am a worrywart :)

And I know that the Lidl SIM has some advantages, but I'm arriving in Germany on Saturday and there is no Lidl directly in the area and I might not have time to get to one, which would mean Monday before I could get to it.

Motel75 11-10-2012 06:53

Put the SIM under your name, and make sure there is a sticker with your last name on it on your friends' mailbox, at least temporarily (mail is sorted by last name in Germany rather than by apartment number or similar). If they have a house with a street address all of its own, you might not need to do this, but it's still a good idea.

inquisitor 11-10-2012 12:40

As Motel75 supposed, either ask your friend to temporarily put your name on his mailbox or call your hotel in advance and tell them that you expect a letter from Fonic which they may litter but which they should accept in any case.

TheMadBrewer 13-10-2012 07:33

My friend has a house with a Ferienwohnung on the ground floor. I'll ask him about the sticker, though.

Thanks for the help (Inquisitor -- I gave you a referral way back when, when I bought the Solomo SIMs and I'll do the same for my Fonic)

TheMadBrewer 20-10-2012 14:38

Just an update: I bought and registered 5 Fonic SIMs -- used one pretty extensively for about a week with no problems. And my German friend just emailed me that he has 5 letters for me next time I visit him :)

Thanks again for all the help.

kimdo 25-11-2012 02:05

Will it possible to buy Fonic Sim before arrival Germany? It will be time saving for short travel period. Because visitors have to find the markets, activate the sim...