PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Americas (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mexico and SIMple Calling [single US number SIM only] (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6239)

rfranzq 16-09-2010 20:49

Mexico and SIMple Calling [single US number SIM only]

Does anyone have recent information if SIMple Calling [ekit] works in Mexico? SMS and/or voice?

teleroam 25-09-2010 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 34058)
Does anyone have recent information if SIMple Calling [ekit] works in Mexico? SMS and/or voice?

The US/Canada (single number) ekit sim will longer register on either Telcel or Movistar. At one time it could receive SMS. Not now.

rfranzq 25-09-2010 18:37

Mexico info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teleroam (Post 34138)
The US/Canada (single number) ekit sim will longer register on either Telcel or Movistar. At one time it could receive SMS. Not now.

Thanks for the response. Good to know. This will free up two SIM slots on one of my cell phones. [Of course I will test and verify also---but at least I will not be suprised.] I am taking a short cruise in December: Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Mexico [Ensenada?].

As a side note, ekit's UK ebay seller [ekitmobile] has US only SIMple Calling SIM cards again for a lower price then the still offered dual IMSI [US & UK phone numbers] SIM cards.

Of the six ekit cards [2 single US number], a Truphone, and a T-Mobile SIM, the best prepaid rate I have for Mexico is the T-Mobile at $1.49 a minute. T-Mobile has the best SMS from Mexico also: 35cents.

Thanks for response.

adam917 25-09-2010 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 34150)

Thanks for the response. Good to know. This will free up two SIM slots on one of my cell phones. [Of course I will test and verify also---but at least I will not be suprised.] I am taking a short cruise in December: Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Mexico [Ensenada?].

As a side note, ekit's UK ebay seller [ekitmobile] has US only SIMple Calling SIM cards again for a lower price then the still offered dual IMSI [US & UK phone numbers] SIM cards.

Of the six ekit cards [2 single US number], a Truphone, and a T-Mobile SIM, the best prepaid rate I have for Mexico is the T-Mobile at $1.49 a minute. T-Mobile has the best SMS from Mexico also: 35cents.

Thanks for response.

Maybe you might want to look into getting an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I believe voice in Mexico is only 0.25 $/minute.

teleroam 26-09-2010 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 34152)
Maybe you might want to look into getting an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I believe voice in Mexico is only 0.25 $/minute.

Yes, that's the best deal for a US sim in Mexico (it roams on Telcel).

But it does cost $100 a year (or more) to keep active, probably not cost-effective for a three day trip. :)

25c/min incoming, and 25c outgoing to the US and Canada is a bargain. 50c to send a text, 20c to receive. Forget about data though at nearly $20/MB!

rfranzq 26-09-2010 09:08

excellent point

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 34152)

Excellent point, however, part of my choice involves using SIMs I already have and trying to lower their balances. I don't have any at&t balance and I do have $40+ on T-Mobile and more on various ekits. Don't travel enough to let the balances get too high or risk losing them through lack of use.
thanks

PhotoJim 02-10-2010 01:14

AT&T doesn't include free calling to Canada - there is a toll charge (35 cents?) atop the normal per-minute rate.

Otherwise, I agree - AT&T is the best SIM to use in Mexico unless native Mexican prepaid calling is cheaper.

teleroam 02-10-2010 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 34201)
AT&T doesn't include free calling to Canada - there is a toll charge (35 cents?) atop the normal per-minute rate.

Did that change recently? In March the AT&T Go Phone (prepaid) was reported as costing the same to call Canada (from Mexico) as calling the US:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/amer...-mexico-3.html

PhotoJim 03-10-2010 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by teleroam (Post 34207)
Did that change recently? In March the AT&T Go Phone (prepaid) was reported as costing the same to call Canada (from Mexico) as calling the US:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/amer...-mexico-3.html

It certainly wasn't toll-free to Canada last February when I was in San Diego. I didn't try it when I was in Rapid City, SD in September.

I'll be in Buffalo, NY at the end of the month; I can try it then and see what happens.

teleroam 03-10-2010 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 34209)
It certainly wasn't toll-free to Canada last February when I was in San Diego. I didn't try it when I was in Rapid City, SD in September.

That's where the confusion is. We're discussing roaming in MEXICO (not making calls from the US). In Mexico (only) the AT&T prepaid GoPhone costs the same to call the Canada as to call the US.

(AT&T does show a 19c surcharge to call Canada from within the US).