PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain & Portugal (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Portugal And Sims (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128)

ccsheen 15-07-2006 18:19

We have a GSM phone which we used in Portugal last year with locally purchased SIM cards.
This year we now have a United Mobile SIM (actually a Riiing) and I also have a call back service (CallBackWorld). I have checked and my number is still active.
I would just like an opinion from others on which way to make my calls. We will be receiving calls from my children and parents during the trip.
We will only be making calls in Portugal (local) and also calling home.
I guess I am a little hesitant about the call back service.
Thanks

snaimon 15-07-2006 18:40

You might want to look at the pinned discussion on Americans going overseas.

Not knowing the EXACT rates on your PORTUGESE SIM.....

You do not say how many phones you have; I try to have one phone per person in my party. Guessing you just have ONE.

I am going to guess that you would probably best use THAT SIM for calling locally. I am also guessing the rates to that SIM will also be lower for people (your family) calling you. THEREFORE, I woul use that as the main SIM.

If you want to call to the US you can either use the Riiing card directly (25 e-cents setup and probably 39 e-cents per minute). Two other options are:

1. Calling card, either local or US with either local toll free or local number (Enjoyprepaid or other Nobel-com affiliates) for use with the PORTUGESE SIM if you have low rates. You should be able to use such a calling card from a hotel or normal landline. CHECK THE HOTEL if they charge for 800 (toll free) calls. We will be using this method on our upcoming trip.

2. A callback service like CBW. Some people are reporting difficulties such as having to make multiple (no COST, but frustrating) attempts to make the callback work and poor call quality. If you have FREE INBOUND with the Riiing, then the rate to US from your Riiing phone is 14 US cents per minute. Just realize it is a DOUBLE CALLBACK. You call your US CBW # and hang up. You are then called back by CBW and you answer.

I am planning on using Callbackworld on my upcoming trip and would not at this point hesitate to recommend it.

Stan

ccsheen 15-07-2006 19:28

Thank you Stan.

I only have one phone. Actually, I had two, but gave one to friends to use in France for a month.

Also, I have read all of the posts on Italy. And I have read quite a bit on phones in general but still have a long way to go. I have offered other friends our remaining phone to use in Italy. I know they are confused about cell phone usage in Europe, let alone Italy.

I have been thinking of telling them about the WIND plan after reading about it here. Do you think this would be the best advice to give someone who really does not understand very much about cell phones but have the need to keep in touch with elderly parents while away for only a week?

They are more concerned about ease of use rather than cost although I am sure they would appreciate a break on the per minute tariff. But I thought this is a way for them to have a number before they travel.

DRNewcomb 15-07-2006 21:14

I think the best way for your US relatives to call you when you are overseas is to point your CallbackWorld PIN2DEST number at your UM SIM and give the relatives the US toll-free access number and PIN (don't forget the "#").

As for the best way for you to call home, that's more complicated. If you can find a pay phone then trigger a callback from the payphone. Call the kids/folks and talk for 30 seconds asking them to call you back. Use a local calling card from a pay phone. Use your laptop and VOIP service with the hotel's WiFi. Tell Jim that if the phone rings twice then quits, he should call you back using PIN2DEST. Just use the UM system. The list goes on and on.

BTW, I noticed Nokia 3310 phones (GSM 900/1800) were selling on eBay for about $20 each.

snaimon 15-07-2006 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccsheen
Thank you Stan.

I only have one phone. Actually, I had two, but gave one to friends to use in France for a month.

Also, I have read all of the posts on Italy. And I have read quite a bit on phones in general but still have a long way to go. I have offered other friends our remaining phone to use in Italy. I know they are confused about cell phone usage in Europe, let alone Italy.

I have been thinking of telling them about the WIND plan after reading about it here. Do you think this would be the best advice to give someone who really does not understand very much about cell phones but have the need to keep in touch with elderly parents while away for only a week?

They are more concerned about ease of use rather than cost although I am sure they would appreciate a break on the per minute tariff. But I thought this is a way for them to have a number before they travel.

IF you want to give out your CBW PIN2DEST info to your relatives, that would work. Of course YOU will be paying the bill. Then as DRN says, have them call your UM SIM as use that for the most part except when you call locally.

As for your friends going to Italy, --- this is a new question and you might want to repost with a different title, no?

Ease of use..... different for everyone, of course.

My recommendation is to keep it simple if they are not technically minded or too old or stubborn to want to learn. WHY do they need a cell? Won't a calling card suffice?

I am not sure what the best SIM is. I defer to our Italian friends. I believe the Italians are offering to procure and set up WIND cards for members here. Be careful about buying a card beforehand off Ebay or elsewhere -- some are not activated and it is really the seller that must do that. Need a Code Fiscale (sp?). I am not sure of the rates ITALY to US, but I don't think that is too economical with a cell. Again, in combination with a local or the right US calling card. That gets complicated, however. If they are staying in hotels, they should be able to use US or Italian calling cards. If they have voice mail at home or on a US cell, they should be able to check that from an Italian land line like at a hotel with a calling card. That is what I plan to do. Watch out, however, if they have VERIZON voicemail. To enter the mailbox process, I must press *. For the ATT calling card, that starts a new call. So I will be using the MCI card to listen to my home voicemails.

Best wishes,

Stan